Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Just a comment and another

Hi everybody!

Just to point out that it's not always clear who wrote the comment, I suggest you sign your comment with your name/favourite nickname or some other word that you can be distinguished with. I assume the last comment came from John? Sorry, I really don't know...

Nevertheless, interesting subject, as I'm interested in size increase and decrease as well, but in Sauropodomorpha. The study I'm dealing with now concerns the (formerly) putative Romanian dwarf Magyarosaurus. Now histology has proven they are (were) indeed dwarfs, we can start thinking about the insular dwarfism in these creatures and the palaeobiogeography of Europe in those days. interestingly, it seems there is another somewhat larger taxon amidst the bones. My supervisor and I had a discussion with David Weishampel (still can't believe that the man who wrote the dinosaur bible just let me call him Dave) and Kristi Curry Rogers, and it is possible that this larger taxon infers a peninsular palaeogeography or at least an island with temporary landbidges to the larger continent of Eurasia, resulting in invasions of non-endemic species. It's cool that there is a similar pattern in the ornithopods of Eastern Europe.
More anon. I'm off making some thin sections.
By the way, did you all know that Lara is now doing a PhD in Canadia (with Phil Currie I believe)? Or am I the last one to find out again?

best wishes,

Koenosaurus

1 comment:

John D. Orcutt said...

Yes, that last post was mine; usually it signs my name to it automatically, and I don't know why it didn't this time.
I had no idea you were looking at body-size related issues as well. That's outstanding, and the topic of insular dwarfism is certainly a fun one (at the very least, you should have no shortage of literature to cite, as one of the major focuses of ecology in the last few decades has been on islands).

-John