Tuesday, October 23, 2007

my fellow palaeopadwans

greetings!

i have been terribly lax of late in
1. keeping in contact with you guys and
2. even checking our palaeoblog. terrible i know but i have justifiable cause...um...i will think of one at some point.

to be honest the green eyed monster was still an intermittent companion and my job was extremely hectic, think department so understaffed we were all doing the work of at least two people (rather reminded me of being back in Bristol!) but enough of the past...i have finally FINALLY returned to the field of academia. in a complete departure from all previous research i am now investigating δ13C of particulate organic material in the Southern Ocean.

it is a situation of complete irony i find myself in as one of the main reasons for taking a job at the Guernsey Education Department was to attempt to get the legislation altered so i could apply for a PhD in Britain.....and having successfully accomplished this (in July NERC published their revised guide accepting students from the Channel Islands) i then applied for and accpeted a PhD in Germany!

i finally arrived in Bremerhaven yesterday evening and have spent today, my first day, in a state of permanent bemusement and a creeping fear that somehow i am a terrible fraud and it is only a matter of time before someone figures this out. however on thursday i go to enrole in my German classes and hopefully things will seem less terrifying from that point on.

i will post a short description of my project as soon as i get a chance to catch my breath, stop panicing and start to reaquaint myself with current research.


Tschüß Lys xxx

No comments: